Picture showing sand hills before the promenade and Parade Gardens were built.
After the promenade was built, still no Gardens.
Work started on the Gardens in 1908 on the land reclaimed after the construction of the promenade. The pictures above shows the huge crowds at the opening and the sand hills that were once so prominent in Hoylake and Meols.
An early aerial view of the Gardens, the outdoor swimming pool can be seen at the far end
In 1912 a bandstand was added and regular concerts started.
In the 1930’s a tea-room, stage and larger bandstand were added. Regular dances and stage plays were held for many years including throughout the second world war
The Gardens provided first class tennis and bowling facilities with abundant floral displays throughout.
The cost of maintaining the Gardens to anything like that standard now is completely prohibitive.
There used to be lovely timber shelters all the way down the main walk way.
In the 1960’s a new building comprising of an electricity sub station, bowling pavilion and mess room was constructed at the southern perimeter.
In the mid 1980’s a new facilities block was built between the two bowling greens including public toilets.
The bandstand and stage have long been demolished along with the timber shelters and most of the wind breaking planting. This has left the Gardens to the sometimes harsh elements of the sea front.
The Friends were set up in 2003 with the aim to secure funding and public support to halt the deterioration of the gardens and hopefully improve them. Since 2006 they have operated a tea kiosk on a Sunday afternoon for Gardens visitors which also helps to raise funds for the various flower beds the Friends maintain.
We would like to produce a more detailed history of the Parade Gardens, if you have any information, stories or pictures please do get in touch.